Sausage Ragu with Penne Pasta



This was one of my best best pasta dishes I have ever made... almost as good as my meatballs.  This dish is classic and easy to make.  It's perfect any day of the week.  Since it was a rainy Sunday I was in no rush to go anywhere so I let it simmer on the stove for a few hours, but this could also be ready in 30 minutes if you're making it on a weeknight.

I think what makes this sauce are the sausages.  Make sure to buy high quality from your favourite butcher.  I've mentioned Boffos before and my love for them and even more so their sausages.  I barbecued their sausages all summer either served on a bun or quartered with grilled veggies on a side of chicken or ribs.  In this recipe I used Hot Italian sausages but they have tons of other kinds.

Because the sausages from Boffos are so perfectly seasoned I didn't use much seasoning for this recipe; however, if you've purchased a grocery store brand I would add fennel, basil, oregano, marjoram and any other herbs you usually add to your tomato based sauces.  

Ingredients:

Dry Penne
5 Hot Italian pork sausages, casings removed
1 Yellow bell pepper, diced
1 small onion, diced
1.5 Tbs. of tomato paste
2-3 Garlic cloves, minced
1.5 Cups of white wine
1 Can of diced tomatoes with juice
1/4 Cup of fresh parsley

Start boiling water for the pasta.
Brown sausage in a saute pan over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes, breaking sausage into small pieces.  Add bell pepper and onion; cook 5 minutes.  Add tomato paste and garlic, cook 1 minute stirring frequently.  Degalze pan with wine, then increase heat to high and cook until liquid has reduced, almost evaporated.  Add tomatoes with their juice along with any spices you may be adding.  Simmer sauce until it's thickened, 5-6 minutes.  Or if you're like me and in no rush carry on simmering. 
Stir in parsley.  Serve ragu over pasta and garnish with Parmesan. 

Comments