Saturday, March 31, 2012

Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies

What a great way to start the weekend!  Crunchy edges and soft centres, make this the perfect chocolate chip cookie.

I asked my mom if I could borrow her electric mixer for this recipe.  It's just one of those things I don't use since I don't bake much.  As I was using it I felt very nostalgic, remembering my mom making lots of meringues and cheese muffins with that mixer.  

Recipe by Jim Lahey found in Bon Appetit Magazine.

Ingredients:

1 Cup plus 2 Tbsp. of all-purpose flour
3/4 Tsp of kosher salt
1/2 Tsp of baking powder
3/4 Cup (1 1/2 sticks) of unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 Cup (packed) light brown sugar
1/4 Cup of sugar
1 Large egg, room temperature
1/2 Tsp of vanilla extract
1 Cup of semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips

Makes about 20 cookies

Arrange racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 425F.  Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.

Whisk flour, salt, and baking powder in a small bowl.  Using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter and both sugars in a large bowl until well combined, 2/3 minutes.  Add egg and vanilla; beta on medium-high speed until mixture is light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes.  Add dry ingredients, reduce speed to low, and mix just to blend.  Fold in chocolate chips.

Spoon heaping tablespoons of cookie dough onto prepared baking sheets, spacing 1 1/2 inches apart.  Bake, rotating pans halfway through, until edges are golden brown, 6-8 minutes.  Let cool, if you can wait.  I usually eat about 2 before they're cooled.  Can anybody actually wait?


No comments:

Post a Comment