Red Wine Marinated Flank Steak



I was planning on making a leek and truffle risotto this weekend but I just didn’t have the time.  Not that it takes so long, but you need to have the patience to stand there while you slowly stir in the stock and wine just a little at a time.  Risotto is definitely a good dish to order when you’re eating out.  I do plan on making it this week though, so stay tuned. 

Instead, Saturday night I remembered to marinate a flank steak I picked up earlier that day so it would be ready to cook up on Sunday evening.  I had a friend’s baby shower that afternoon about an hour away and knew I would want something quick. 

When I got home I boiled some water to make sweet potato mash with maple syrup and a little butter.  I also steamed some asparagus and served with a squeeze of fresh lemon.  After finishing the vegetables, all that was left to do was to grill the steak for 10 minutes.  



Marinade for the steak:

½ Cup of red wine
½ Cup of red wine vinegar
1/2 Cup of olive oil
1 small shallot, chopped
1 Tbs of Dijon mustard
½ Tbs of fresh rosemary, chopped
½ Tbs of fresh thyme, chopped
1-2 Cloves of garlic, minced
1 Tsp of ginger, minced
½ Tbs of red pepper flakes
Freshly squeezed lemon, about half a lemon
Salt and pepper

The night before mix all the above ingredients and place in a large freezer bag or bowl with the meat and marinate until ready to use.

Take a large heavy grilling pan and heat on medium high heat with about a good glug of olive oil.  Once the pan is really hot place the flank steak and grill without turning for about 5 minutes, turn and grill the other side for another 5 minutes for a medium cooked steak.  Slice against the grain and serve.

You know what was better than this steak?  The amazing sandwiches we had today with the leftovers.  I was sitting at my desk and couldn’t stop thinking about my sandwich, and had to give in at 10 AM and ate the whole thing.  I know, it’s pretty sad. 

I served the leftover steak on crusty buns with red onion chutney, brie cheese, Dijon mustard, arugula and a squeeze of lemon.  It was amazing! 

Comments

  1. yes!! I love when you write good 'glug'!

    interested in the risotto, pls write about it when you have the time to make it. Sarah and I have been chatting about it because she recently made it, and loved it, and now craves it, she can be your taster! Also, i find risotto is a hard word to say properly without sounding like a tool by over-enunciating the double T.

    one more thing: what's that high tech looking citrus reamer??

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha - I know Phil always makes fun of how I say "Ris-oh-Toe"

    I picked it up at Calphalon when I was taking one of my classes and I love it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment