Beef Tenderloin and Onion Chutney

My camera broke so these low quality Blackberry photos will have to do.  I really hope I can get it fixed!  It was dropped and now the lens won't open.  Can you believe the warranty expired 7 days ago?  So annoying. 

Anyway, Phil and I had a nice relaxing weekend.  On Saturday I stopped at Boffo's and picked up a beef tenderloin we roasted with mushrooms.  If you haven't checked it out yet, go!  I'm excited to try their peameal bacon they make on site. 

For the beef:

1 Beef tenderloin. About 1 lb
5-6 Tbs of unsalted butter
1 Tsp each of fresh rosemary and thyme, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 Package of white button mushrooms, brushed clean and sliced thickly.

Preheat the oven  to 400F.

If you need to, trim the tenderloin of any fat.  Place the tenderloin in an oiled roasting pan,  coat the meat with 1-2 tablespoons of melted butter and sprinkle on the herbs and salt and pepper.  Toss  the remaining butter with the mushrooms and garlic until just coated and add to the roasting pan.  Roast the tenderloin and mushrooms while basting the meat with the juices until the thermometer reads 130F for medium rare, approximately 40 minutes.

Transfer the meat to the cutting board and tent with tinfoil and let rest for 10 minutes before carving. 


Of course with beef you have to have horseradish, but this time we also had an onion chutney.  I was peeling pearl onions to cook with the beef and mushrooms and came across a really nice recipe on the package.   Tonight we're having the leftover beef  in sandwiches with the chutney.




Onion Chutney:

20 Red pearl onions, peeled.
1/2 Cup of of red wine vinegar
3 Tbs of balsamic vinegar
1/2 Cup of brown sugar
1/2 Tbs of ground pepper

Place onions in saucepan with the vinegars, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for 15 minutes.  Add sugar and simmer uncovered for 1 hour and let cool.

I love this chutney so much and plan to make it again.  Like my marinated peppers, it'll be nice to have ready in the fridge to put on sandwiches and to go with a cheese plate.  I'm so happy I found this!

Comments

  1. Mmmm..this looks really yummy! I am definitely going to make this recipe - Dan loves chutney of any kind and will rave about this one.

    Thanks, Ali!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment