Apricot and Fig Sauce

Christmas came early to my house this weekend.  At least that's what it smelt like when I was cooking this sauce for a party over the weekend.

I found the recipe for this delicious sauce in Everyday Italian by Giada De Laurentis.  Mine was slightly different as I used fresh figs and added the dried apricots since I had some in the cupboard.  There were so many layers of flavour to it.  I served this with roast pork.  

Ingredients:

2 Cups of port
1 Cup of chicken broth
5 figs, coarsely chopped
8 Dried apricots, coarsely chopped
2 Springs of fresh rosemary
1 Tbs. of honey
2 Tbs. of unsalted butter
1/4 Tsp. of kosher salt
1/4 Tsp. of freshly ground pepper

For the sauce:

In a medium size saucepan, combine the port, chicken broth, figs, apricots, rosemary, cinnamon, and honey.  Boil over medium-high heat until reduced by half, about 30 minutes.  Discard the rosemary, sprigs and cinnamon sticks.  Blend the mixture with a hand blender of a regular blender and puree until smooth.  Blend in the butter, salt, and pepper.  The sauce can be made one 1 day ahead.  Cover and refrigerate.  Rewarm over medium heat before using.

Comments