Pickled Fennel

I’m not sure if this combination tasted so good because I’m pregnant but I really enjoyed this simple fish sandwich. Phil did say he liked it too but he'll eat anything.

Breaded Tilapia with pickled fennel, lettuce, horseradish mayo and sliced pickles. For breading instructions go here.


I found the recipe for the pickled fennel in Fine Cooking Magazine.  It was nice and easy.  These days, being  nine months pregnant, I haven’t been cooking as much so I need something quick.

 For the Pickled Fennel:

Ingredients:

½ Tsp of yellow mustard seeds
½ Tsp of whole black peppercorns
1 1 lb fennel bulb, trimmed and sliced
1 Cup of white wine vinegar
½ Cup of granulated sugar
3 Tbs of olive oil
Salt

For the fennel:

Have ready two sterilized wide-mouth pint jars, bands and lids. Toast the mustard seeds and peppercorns in a small dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant. 1 to 2 minutes. Grind to a medium-coarse texture with a mortar and pestle. Place the fennel into jars, layering it with e spice mixture.

In a medium saucepan, bring the vinegar, sugar, oil, 1 Tbs of salt, and half a cup of water to a boil over medium heat. Pour the liquid over the fennel until it reaches the top of the jars. Screw on the lids, cool to room temperature, and refrigerate for three days before using. The fennel will keep in the fridge for at least two weeks.

Yields about two pints.

Comments

  1. I can't wait to try this recipe! I love fennel and this will definitely be an addition to many recipes.

    Thanks for this one, Al.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment