Potato Croquette



So much for eating lighter after the holidays.  I made these to accompany Phil's mom's sauce she sent home with us the other night and they were delicious, and so was her sauce.

I made these waaaay too big so I think I'll make them into an appetizer size next time.  I also might try stuffing them with crab meat. 

Thanks David Rocco for the recipe.  He didn't give it to me personally (though he should have). I got it in one of my food magazine stocking stuffers from Phil.  So thanks Phil!



Ingredients:

1.3 Lbs of potatoes, peeled
1 Cup of Parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 Cup of parsley, finely chopped
2 Eggs
1 Half a mozzarella ball, cut into strips
1 Cup of breadcrumbs
Salt and pepper
Extra virgin olive oil, for frying but not deep frying

For the Croquettes:

Boil potatoes until fork-tender and let cool for 20 minutes.  In a large bowl mash potatoes.  Add Parmesan, parsley, salt and pepper, and one egg, and mix well until all the ingredients are evenly dustributed.

Grab a handful of mashed potatoes and create logs that are 11/2 inches thick by 3 inches long.  With your finger, create an indentation in the middle of the log and add a slice of mozzarella.  Close up the logs and make sure mozzarella is fully covered.  Reshape if necessary.

For the batter, dip potato logs in the second beaten egg and cover with breadcrumbs.

Fry in hot extra-virgin olive oil until potato croquettes are crispy and golden brown.

Let cool on a paper towel and serve warm. 

Comments