Sunday, November 14, 2010

Weekend

This weekend was busy! Friday we took off of work to run an all day hockey camp. Phil was of course in charge of the hockey and I served lunch with help from Meg.  I'm not much of a baker so Meg made the most delicious chocolate chip cookies. Thanks Meg!


I was a little stressed the night before considering I don't have much experience feeding kids (not yet at least).  I decided on turkey, ham and tuna sandwiches.  I found some whole wheat Ciabatta rolls and also bought a lot of white country bread for the more pickier kids.  I love provolone cheese on sandwiches but I was worried about the flavour being too sharp for the kiddies and opted for Havarti and some crunchy Romain lettuce.  For the tuna, I used a little mayo, finely chopped celery and Alfalfa sprouts.  I knew I was pushing it with the tuna and sprouts and I was right, it was only tuna left at the end of the day.

After doing a look around the room I saw some of the kids removing cheese, lettuce and some eating up to three sandwiches just as I made them.  I think I learned that there is no pleasing all kids.  At the end of the day waiting for the parents to pick up the kids I sat with the last two very chatty boys and tried  to get their feedback.  I asked them what some of their favourite foods were and got "Kraft dinner" and "Hamburger Helper".  The next sessions are for three days just before Christmas so I better start brainstorming some new ideas.  This is so new to me!

2 comments:

  1. but most of them love pickles and think I am a weirdo for not LOVING pickles. SO- you could just serve up trays of pickles and you'd stand a good chance of pleasing most kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha - you're right! I actually wondered for a second of a child could OD on those and the orange slices.

    ReplyDelete