Onion Bacon Tart

Have you picked up the latest issue of Food and Drink magazine yet?  There are so many good recipes in there.

The cover has lemon risotto spoons with crab and onion sprouts, plus lots of other spoon recipes.  I haven't experimented with spoons at all.  I  think because I generally don't like assembling little bite sized portions.  I just don't have the patience.  Somebody I do know that has the patience, talent and who throws the best Christmas parties with lots of beautifully made hor d'oeuvres including spoons, is Madeleine.  I thought of her right away when I saw the cover.




What I did make was this lovely onion tart, or as they refer to it, Alsatian Bacon Tart.  This would be ideal served for brunch, or as we had it for a nice light Sunday night dinner after a weekend of over indulging.

Did you notice my new tablecloth and dishes?  They're all wedding shower gifts.   Thank you Vicky,  Mom and Lisa!  I think there might be some others thanking you too. 

1 lb of puff pastry
2 Tbs of olive oil
8 oz of double smoked bacon
8 Cups of Spanish onion, sliced
2 Bay leaves
1 Tbs of Fresh thyme
Salt (I left this out because bacon has enough salt for me)
2 Large eggs
1/2 Cup of ricotta cheese
1/2 Cup of cream
Freshly ground pepper

Roll out puff pastry into a free-form circle.  Transfer pasty to a baking sheet.  Using your fingers and a little water to moisten dough, make pleats in the pastry to stand up like a tart shell.  Chill party while you prepare filling.

Preheat oven to 375F.

Heal olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.  Add bacon and saute for 1 minute or until bacon fat is beginning to melt.  Add onions, bay leaves and thyme, season with salt and saute for 10 to 20 minutes or until onions are a slightly golden tangled mass.

Combine eggs, ricotta and cream ans season with salt and pepper.

Remove pastry from fridge and pour in egg mixture to make a thin layer.  Spread bacon and onion in a thin layer over top.  Bake in lower third of the oven for 25 to 35 minutes or until pastry is browned and filling is set.

Comments