Beer Steamed Mussels

 These mussels turned out perfectly, I couldn't get enough of the salty broth - so much so that I ate half a loaf of sourdough - just so I could soak up every last drop.

Mussels are easy to make and they're inexpensive.  Phil, Mel and I polished off 2.5 pounds as a main course, but I could have maybe served about two more people and made it an appetizer for 5.

 Ingredients:
 2 Tbs of Olive Oil
1/4 Cup of fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 Cup of fresh chives, chopped
1/4 Cup of fresh tarragon, chopped
2/3 Cup of cream
2 Tbs of Dijon mustard
1 Tbs whole grain mustard
2-3 Cloves of garlic, minced
2 Tbs of butter
2 Tbs of fresh thyme, chopped
2.5 pounds of mussels, scrubbed and debearded
3 Cups of tomatoes, diced
1 bottle of Belgian white beer (I used Hoegaarden)



For the mussels:
Mix parsley, chives and tarragon, in a small bowl.  Whisk cream and both mustards in another bowl to bland and set aside.

Melt butter in extra large pot with lid over high heat. Add garlic and thyme; stir 1 minute. Add mussels and tomatoes. Pour beer over, then add the cream mixture; sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper. Cover tightly with lid and cook until steam appears, about 3 minutes. Add half of fresh herb mixture and stir until mussels and herbs are gently mixed. Cover tightly with lid again and cook until mussels open, 4 to 5 minutes (discard any mussels that do not open).
Using slotted spoon, divide mussels in the bowls and pour juices over each serving. Serve with a good crusty bread.

Sarah and Beth, I promise to have you guys over soon.  I had to make sure I had a recipe that worked and Mel and Phil are used to being my guinea pigs

Comments

  1. Mmmmm I love mussels! I think I'll attempt this, your step by step guide makes it seem easy.
    My favourite mussels are at Smokeless Joe on John St. They have a bunch of different recipes. Now I'm getting hungry :)) -- Mila

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always happy to be your guinea pig. Remember how I was supposed to bake for you and Phil years ago? I just made WAY too many vanilla butter cream cupcakes. If they are delicious I'm going to bring you guys some!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh mannnnnnn i wonder if i could do this. i love mussels so much!

    hope you had an awesome shower ali! xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. You totally could!

    Thanks Steph it was really was awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment