Leek and Truffle Oil Risotto

I’m back! Sorry for my lack of posting. I’ve been cooking, but mostly tried and true recipes I’ve posted on here already like roast chicken, couscous etc. I finally managed to make the risotto I promised. It actually became a joke between Phil and I because I kept on saying I was going to make it, but never came through until last night.



I’ve made this a few times and it always comes out well. I also seem to always have the ingredients on hand – even the truffle oil! I know that seems odd, but my friend Isabella usually brings some back for me from Italy whenever she goes. She’s there right now so maybe there will be some more coming my way!







Adapted from Bon Appetite Magazine found here.


Leeks:

2 Large leeks (white and pale green parts only), halved, thinly sliced crosswise (about 2 cups)
¾ Cup of whipping cream (I combined a little milk too)


Mushrooms:

1 pound shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, cut into 1/4- to 1/3-inch-thick slices
1 large onion, halved, thinly sliced lengthwise
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
1 Tbs white truffle oil
1 Tspn minced fresh thyme leaves

Risotto:

4 Tbs (1/2 stick) butter, divided
1/2 a Large onion, chopped
2 Shallots, chopped
1 1/2 Cups arborio rice
1/2 Cup dry white wine
5 Cups (or more) hot vegetable broth or chicken broth
1/2 Cup grated Parmesan cheese
Chopped fresh parsley

For leeks:

Bring leeks and cream to boil in heavy medium saucepan. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until leeks are tender and cream is thick, stirring often, about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

For mushrooms:

Preheat oven to 400°F. Toss all ingredients on rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast until mushrooms are tender and light brown around edges, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes.

For risotto:

Melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add rice; stir 1 minute. Add wine and stir until almost all liquid is absorbed, about 1 minute. Add 1 cup hot broth. Simmer until broth is almost absorbed, stirring often, about 4 minutes. Add more broth, 1 cup at a time, allowing each addition to be absorbed before adding next and stirring often, until rice is tender and mixture is creamy, about 20 minutes longer. Stir in leek mixture, mushroom mixture, remaining 2 tablespoons butter, and cheese. Transfer to large bowl, sprinkle with parsley, and serve.

Comments

  1. Looks delicious! I love risotto - my dad taught me how to make it when I was 15, but I think it's time I tried some fancier versions, like this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What kind do you make? I also love it because it uses up a lot of stock that I always seem to have so much of.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment