Basic Tomato Sauce



Phil and I are trying to eat on the cheap these days. Mainly though, I’m trying to use up all the ingredients in our fridge before we go shopping to avoid waste.  I can sometimes be bad with finding an old soft zucchini at the back of the fridge that I bought for stuffed peppers or something else I never made.  When we lived in the condo I wasted less.  I think because I used to pick up food after work as we needed it.  These days I’m shopping on the weekend trying to work out what we’ll be having for dinner for the week ahead, then last minute plans come up or I’m just not in the mood for those stuffed peppers.   Anyway, this here is a basic tomato sauce using 1 tomato we had left and a leek that was starting to look like it had seen better days. 

For the sauce:

Olive Oil
1 Onion, chopped
3 Small carrot, chopped
2 Large celery stocks, chopped
1 Leek, white and light green parts only, chopped
1 Tomato, diced
1 Large can of tomatoes
1 Tbs of tomato paste
4-5 Garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbs of fresh thyme, chopped
½ Tbs of Fresh rosemary, chopped
½ Tbs of dried oregano (I only use dried when I don’t have fresh)
2 Bay leaves

Take a large pan and heat up a good glug of olive oil on medium heat, add onion and garlic and let sweat.  Once the onions are translucent add the carrot, celery, leek, garlic and herbs. Add the tomato paste and cook the vegetables until they’re starting to become tender.  If it seems dry add a splash of chicken or vegetable stock.  After coking for about 10 minutes add your tomatoes with juices and seeds and bay leaves.   I cooked my sauce for about 2.5 hours.  

It’s up to you if you want to blend it in the food processor -- both ways are good.  

Comments