Fall-Off-the-Bone Roasted Chicken Thighs


Late Sunday night Phil handed me an article he saved me from The Toronto Star.  It was something about the 'top 10 recipes of 2011'.  So far I've made one of the recipes and was very impressed.  This was one of the best chicken recipes I've tasted, and I make pretty good chicken.

There were two things that sold me on this recipe.  First, chicken thighs are my favourite part if the chicken because they're so juicy and reasonably priced,  Second, I love recipes where I already have all the ingredients.

Ingredients:

12 chicken thighs
1/3 Cup of Dijon mustard
1/3 Cup of low-sodium soy sauce
Juice from two lemons, squeezed
1 Tbs of olive oil
1 Tbs of dried fines herbes (or mix of parsley flakes, chives, tarragon, chervil leaves)
1 Tsp of fennel seeds
Kosher salt (I skipped this because of the soy sauce)
Cracked black pepper
About 2 cups of chicken stock

For the chicken:

Preheat oven to 350F.
Place the chicken in a single layer in a baking dish.  In a bowl, whisk mustard, soy sauce, lemon, and oil.  Pour over chicken; turn to coat evenly.  Sprinkle on mixed herbs and fennel.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
Remove foil; baste with juices.  Add stock as needed so tops of chicken remain exposed; stir to turn up any bits that have formed on the bottom of the dish.  Baste again.  Roast 1 hour.  Tops of thighs will turn caramel colour.  Transfer chicken to platter.  Serve liquid as gravy.

Comments